Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Negotiating 101 fail (continued)

Last week I agreed to develop a short course for the College of Medicine and teach it.  I failed in negotiating by not insisting on any money to develop the course.  It will likely take 20 hours to prepare the course on top of teaching it for 3 days.

Today I received a cheery e-mail from the coordinator that he good news:  His Dean has approved everything and they will happily pay me 25% less than what was offered last week!

Here was my polite reply:
Dear Ian –
 Considering the amount of prep work to develop this course and deliver it, I am not willing to do it for Dh 4200.  I was uncomfortable when I left your office that there was no compensation for the development work.  Now that I have an offer of Dh 4200 it makes my life easier; I can comfortably say I decline.
 Feel free to use the outline we worked on.
 Steve

Dh 4200 = $1100

Here's what I wanted to write:
Dear Ian -
Imagine the situation were reversed:  The College of Business has asked a member of the Medical faculty to develop a 2 credit hour course and deliver it for Dh 4200.  Your faculty would consider it an insult.  While I am not claiming my time is as valuable as a medical doctor I am, nonetheless, insulted.
Steve
I'd also have to liked to have included one of my favorite Spellmanisms...

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of what my Grandpa Frank would say when a hog farmer would stink up a two mile radius with his high volume hog farm. The farmer would smile and say, "It smells like money!"
    My Grandpa would look him square in the eye and say, "It isn't my money. It smells like SHIT."

    This smells like shit.

    Karey

    ReplyDelete