Saturday, August 22, 2009

Eqyptian sheets

My friend Tony owns an art gallery and has mastered packing things so they won't break in transit. He did a great job packing glasses last winter for me... glasses that successfully traveled 7000 miles. I took them out to get a picture of them all and knocked one over and broke it.

This time I have some extra room and Tony suggested a pillow. At the evil empire I bought a large pillow and decided to get a set of King sheets for the guest bed... you know, for when you want to come visit.

I found "Egyptian cotton" sheets on sale for $40.

Hmm. As you may recall, a friend visiting Egypt bought me a set of King "Egyptian cotton" sheets for $204.

Yes, the thread count was 600 vs. 400, but is a 600 thread count worth an extra $164? And how exclusive are these sheets if they sell them at Wal-marts across America. I doubt there are enough cotton fields in Egypt to supply the world's largest retailer, so is "Egyptian cotton" a name of cotton that can be grown anywhere?

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I would NEVER pay $204 for sheets, but those thread counts DO make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my defense, I asked for sheets from a person traveling to Egypt. I had no idea the bill would be $204. Since I'll have the new sheets on the guest bed for which I'll have no guests I'll take turns sleeping on both sets and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egyptian Cotton is a long staple cotton primarily from Egypt.

    ReplyDelete