Monday, August 24, 2009

Arrived in Dubai

I arrived in Dubai and I'm waiting for Ann and Mike to arrive from London. They have a Galloper in Dubai and we'll get get back to Al Ain together. It's currently 10PM... I hope to be home and in bed by 2AM 'cause I'm dragging.

The trip from DC to Dubai was the bumpiest flight I've ever been on. Sleep - even ambien induced - was hard. On the Chicago to DC leg a very annoying little girl sat just ahead of me. In the two hours we sat on the plane I'm pretty sure her high pitched talking didn't pause for 30 seconds. The parents never answered her or spoke to her. They didn't need to; this girl lived in her own world and wanted to everyone else to know what she saw. While I found it irritating I just kept telling myself, "I have to put with this for a few hours. The parents have got this for years."

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it in okay. Hopefully your luggage did too and I'm assuming your laptop(s) are still in working order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much the laptop appreciated not having 50lbs. of other luggage with it. I won't know if all the glass plates and mugs made it safely until I get home, er, my apartment. I do know a bag of popcorn opened up and I'll be shaking popcorn off of all of my belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Sam was about 1, we flew to San Francisco as James had a conference. I bought several sets of cheap earphones to hand out to people in case he started crying or making loud noises. It sounds like it would have been nice for those parents to do the same thing. However, I will say as the parent of a very talkative little girl - it just doesn't bother me anymore. I do know it can bother others though, so I try to be very conscious of this and teach her when to talk and when not to. It hasn't worked well yet, but I'm trying! That child very well could have a disability like autism and the parents have learned to tune her out. But on a flight where people are trying to sleep, they should be more conscious of that fact.

    Sorry to hear about your popcorn - hope some is salvagable! Glad to hear you got home safe. Maybe next time we'll get to see each other. I'm not holding my breath though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought I'd let you know that Gus got to meet his newest cousin yesterday. I think Lady was living out her revenge through Brandi Boo. At first Gus bossed her around then Brandi realized that she was the same size (and twice as hyper)and the tides changed. I think Lady was smiling up in Heaven. But they got along fine. I'm glad you made it back safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am a grown girl and I still haven't stopped talking...

    Glad to hear that you made it back safely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that we missed catching you in DC by two days!!

    ReplyDelete