Monday, August 24, 2009

Saying goodbye

When I was young I dog sat for a dachshund. The owner was retired and traveled frequently. At first Heller was nervous and would run to the door anytime someone new came... hoping it was her owner. After staying with me several times Heller became much more comfortable and even became excited to see me. Of course, she was also excited to see her owner when she returned.

We've reached that point with Gus. He was excited to see me - to the point that he clawed up my arms the first night I was home - but he also loves M&D and the farm.

Saying goodbye to M&D and Gus is always tough. Gus, however, felt the need to stick his tongue out at me. Then again, if I had his tongue I'd show it off, too.

*****
It's 3AM here (6PM Iowa time). I've unpacked and fortunately nothing but some bags of popcorn broke. (The popcorn is salvageable.) I should be getting to bed but I'm completely wired.

I've checked my work e-mail and I have no meetings or reason to go in tomorrow except that I've lost my cool office and, apparently, I've been banished back to "Guantanamo" - as it is called. Oh well, I spend only 2 hours a week there so it doesn't matter. Sniffle.

Sandy will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they call that "sweet lemon rationalizing."

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard that term and I'm certainly not an expert! I've only heard the expression about making lemons into lemonade. How did I get this reputation of correcting you when you're wrong? I do like to give you grief, granted - but doesn't everybody? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the psych major reading the blog. Plus you're always right. I once wrote a "Sandy is always right" post but didn't publish it because I couldn't write it in a way that didn't read like, "she is *always* right."

    Sweet lemon is biting into a lemon and remarking how sweet it is. In other words saying something is great when it isn't. I think it's pretty much the opposite of sour grapes. "I didn't want those grapes, anyway. They're probably sour."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're joking about me being always right - but I'm going to show it to James anyway. HA! Okay, maybe I should wait until AFTER his birthday...

    I have made many, many mistakes in my life - especially in my late teens. But hopefully I learned from them! Do people think I THINK I'm always right - because nothing could be farther from the truth! I just hope I don't come across that stuffy and prim and proper that I'm always right. Okay, enough over-analyzing for one day - gotta move on!

    ReplyDelete