Thursday, August 20, 2009

Start of Ramadan

Since it is evening in the middle east right now should be the start to Ramadan. As Ramadan moves up each year it means the days of fasting (no food or even water) are getting longer and longer. Last year I didn't know where the break rooms were so I had sneak water sips in the bathroom. Fortunately we'll only be teaching for two weeks during Ramadan this year and next year the school year will have to start after it's over.

Imagine all McDonalds and KFC's being closed during the day. You can only buy food or drink for consumption at home. I don't know if that will mean the Hardee's drive through will be open. I'll have to check.

While many Christians give up something they love for lent I don't think many look forward to it. Most Muslims I've spoken with look forward to Ramadan with joy. While it does mean fasting during the day it is also pretty much a party all night (sans alcohol, of course). There are also lots and lots of gifts given.

As a foreigner I prefer to be out of the country during Ramadan. I appreciate the religious culture and tradition but I also like to drink water during the day. Especially when it's 120 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment