Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Atlanta

Two weeks ago today I arrived in Atlanta. I spent the day with great friends Matt & Jennifer. One of our stops was a museum with an exhibition called dialogue in the dark. We were given walking canes and taken to various environments to simulate what it would be like to live blind.

At the end we had the opportunity to buy a couple of Cokes (while still in complete darkness). Like everything we did, it was a much more complicated process. A bill reader confirmed our payment and the woman, blind-in-real-life, brought us our Cokes.

As I stepped back out into the lighted world I thought of how difficult the process had been and realized that was the world for our server all day, every day.

No trip to Atlanta is complete without a trip to the Coke store. What's not pictured is a big clock Matt & Jennifer bought for me. I'll have to take a picture of it once I'm back in Al Ain.

By Altanta standards it was a very cool late July day. I decided to venture into the Olympic water fountain - water jets up in the shape of the Olympic rings. I timed it wrong and got soaked.

Atlanta is a lush green city this time of year. Very clean and the best part for me was seeing clouds. Real, definable clouds.

We drove along we saw a tank. No idea why a tank was being ferried through downtown Atlanta...

This fuzzy picture is of a chili dog I bought while waiting for my flight back to CR. While I've been back I've had a couple of hotdogs. The other night I had one at the ballpark that was so gross I'll be able wait another year before I get another one.

*****
Like the trip in February, I had a great time in Atlanta. I hope I can get reasonably priced tickets with Delta in the future. Matt & Jennifer were great hosts. Native Georgians must get sick of taking their out-of-town guests to the Coke museum, but they took it in stride.

1 comment: