Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Magnificent March

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions or giving up something for Lent.  I tried the Lent trick in 7th grade when I gave up roller-skating to get out of doing it in gym class but Mr. Van Etten wasn't buying it.

I have decided, however, to make this a Magnificent March.  Here's the plan:

  • Low carb diet
  • Do a skin car regimin (mosturizing, ex-foliating... the stuff most guys would never do... but I'm going to hope I can put up with it for a month)
  • Work out at least 3x a week
  • Do whatever it takes to get better sleep
  • No yelling at lowly paid service workers

The last point probably deserves an explanation.  First, I get angry quickly in the face of stupidity.  Customer service here can be so frustratingly bad that it is quite a good thing that guns are not legal.  Sometimes it is not the worker's fault; the system is so bureaucratic the driver's license stations in the US look efficient.  Other times the workers act like they simply do not care... and for what they are getting paid I understand.

Today is the sixth day my Sunday-Tuesday classes have met.  Five out of six days I have come to a room with a non-working projector.  (Remember, there are no boards in these rooms.  With no working projector it is just me trying to communicate to non-native English speakers.)  The lowly paid tech must hate it when he sees my number ringing him... and, on occasion over the past three weeks I have yelled at him.  Today, and hopefully for the rest of the month, I was all peaches and cream.  The fix didn't come any faster than normal, but it didn't take any longer.  Most importantly, my blood pressure remained lower.

I weighed in this morning at 213.  That's 12 pounds lower than when I started last year.  And I did do work out right after work.

At the moment I'm staring at the bottle of moisturizing cream on table and thinking, "Really?"

No comments:

Post a Comment