Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A timeline of middle east unrest

It almost seems hard to believe that this has only been going on for about four months.  Here is an interesting interactive timeline of events.

I know I haven't commented on events like I did with the revolution in Egypt.  The reason is that I have come to know many Egyptians and know nobody from Tunisia, Bahrain, Yemen, or Libya.  While Libya is getting all of the attention for obvious reasons the events in Yemen scare me more.  If another attack on the US comes it seems most likely to come from Yemen.

In this part of the world a person's nationality is based on the father.  One of my best student's father is from Yemen and her mother is Emirati.  Even though my student has spent less than a month of her life in Yemen her nationality is Yemeni.  Why is that a big deal?  She is an excellent student and was awarded a trip to the US.  The US denied her the trip because, you guessed it, she's Yemeni.

2 comments:

  1. Did you not know Hichem and Chiraz Boutiba, Mondher Kobrosly, Zeineb (can't remember her last name), or the 2 other guys who were Coe students from Tunisia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of them but they were not friends, Peachie. In this post I was writing about those I talk to here in the middle east.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete