Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Satisfaction is...

Background first:  In January the college of medicine asked if the college of business had anyone available to teach a class on basic management/leadership styles.  It was similar to the training sessions so I volunteered.  I agreed to teach the class and not get paid for any of the prep.  A week later I was told they were going to pay 25% less than promised and I said, "Thanks, but no thanks."  Fortunately, the dean of my college backed me up, and I walked away.

Today I found out that they broke the course into smaller parts and have been trying to find anyone they can to teach them.  Two months later and they are still looking.

How incredibly stupid.  I was willing to do it all for $2000.  When they cut the pay I declined mostly based on principle:  We agreed on $2000 and they couldn't change that a week later.  Now they've spent two months and undoubtedly many, many hours to find someone else.  I'm sure it has cost them much more than the money it would have taken to have kept me.

... and that has had me smiling all day.

1 comment: