Monday, March 14, 2011

I have not become that which I mock (at least not yet)

All Iowans know of those people who move to a warmer climate and then act insanely cold when they return to Iowa.  I have mocked them.  "Oh, so you lived in Iowa for 30 years but after a couple of years in Florida you forgot what the weather here is like?"  They claim that their bodies got used to the warmer weather and 75 degrees now requires a jacket.

Get real.

This winter in the middle east seemed quite a bit colder than the previous ones.  I have no desire to become that which I mock, so I was very relieved to see that, in fact, this was a colder winter.  On average December and January were 4 degrees colder than the previous years I was here.  (There was a cold snap here in January 2009, but I was back in Iowa.  The 45 degrees here would have seemed balmy compared to the -20 when I stepped off the plane in Iowa.)  Last winter there was no cold spell.

Maybe next January I'll have to come home to get a dose of reality. 

Nah, the weather is simply too fantastic here in January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment