Friday, March 11, 2011

Americans with passports

Many Americans here seem appalled at how few Americans have a passport.  (Here's a map.)  The points made here are similar to the ones in this article:

  1. America is huge
  2. Cultural ignorance
  3. Fear

I think the list is unfair.  That "America is huge" is valid.  When I've put the question among those born and raised in this part of the world they are much more forgiving.  I heard this comment more than once, "Why would you need a passport when you live in such a large country?  You can go skiing, go to the beach, go to big cities... you have it all."

If I made the list I would keep number one but change 2 & 3.
  1. America is huge
  2. Cost
  3. Time
A family of four can fork out thousands on a week trip to Disney World.  A trip to London?  Twice that.  Also Americans don't get a month of vacation.  To travel here takes two days and then several days to get over the jet lag.  Making a week trip would be a waste with most of it eaten by travel and a jet lag hangover.

Now, having said all of that, I *do* think a trip here would be good for our Muslim-bashing Americans.  The fact that life in the middle east in no way matches their perception of life in the middle east might, just might, get them to open their eyes.  And, really, they should be delighted:  Everywhere you go here they serve tea.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for posting this -- I put it up on my FB as well. I've long said for years that cost + time are the logical reasons so I totally agree with you. And absolutely those wackos back in the U.S. who are bashing all Muslims need a huge reality check.

    Cheers,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Dr. Adrienne!

    I hope you had a fantastic hooding ceremony!

    ReplyDelete