Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Give good teachers larger classes and pay them more

That's an idea floated here and I don't think it is a terrible idea.

I teach three sections of two classes - an introductory Management class and a Supply Chain management class.  Here are the enrollments this semester:

Management:
My sections have 45, 43, and 47 students for an average 45 students.
The other sections have: 43, 23, and 27 students for an average of 31 students.

Supply Chain:
My sections have:  34, 35, and 36 students for an average of 35 students.
The other sections have 22, 16, and 11 for an average of 16 students.

Either I should be paid more or I should start being a bad teacher and watch my sections shrink.

Every semester there is a huge gap between the number of students in my sections and the other sections.  It was noticed a year ago and rather than investigate what I do differently in the classroom I was checked to see if I'm too generous on grades.  I'm not.  I don't need any acknowledgement of being a good teacher, but if I'm going to be teaching classes that are 50% to 100% larger than my colleagues I deserve a raise!

No comments:

Post a Comment