Monday, October 10, 2011

The non-sequitor student

Non-sequitor:  Latin for "it does not follow."

(It's a term I never use so I had to be sure I had the right meaning.)

Every once in a while I will get that student: Almost always cheerful and perky and willing to chime in on questions asked in class.  Unfortunately, the answers leave me speechless.

After explaining the basics of an assembly line a student said, "Oh, like Apple making all of their earphones white!"

"Umm, no," I replied.  At this point my brain is trying so hard to make a connection that I have trouble moving on.

Ten minutes later I'm talking about maintaining inventory at a store and I hear, "Like going to a beauty salon!"

I never had a course in education.  I wonder how they teach teachers to deal with such responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment