Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ruh-roh Romney

A couple of days ago I predicted the 2012 Republican ticket would be Romney/Rubio.  It's not a particularly bold or daring prediction, but it's one I had meant to make two months ago.  Why?  Because while I was back in Iowa I listened to Rush.

Rush always hated John McCain.  He was desperately trying to get support for someone - practically anyone - else.  He clearly loved Fred Thompson but he proved to be a terrible candidate.  After Thompson and Huckabee split the evangelical/conservative vote in South Carolina, Rush changed his tune quickly on McCain.  Listening to him before Florida I said, "Rush won't endorse McCain but clearly the powers-that-be in the party have convinced him to stop bashing him.  McCain will be the nominee."  McCain won Florida and the rest is history.

This summer Rush fielded callers that wanted to bash Romney.  Rush never supported Romney but didn't go out of his way to egg his listeners on - which is a very typical tactic used by El Rushbo.  Ergo, with establishment support and the lack of Rush attacking him Romney will be the nominee.

That makes this quote from yesterday's show quite a surprise:
"Romney is not a conservative.  He's not folks.  You can argue with me all day long on that, but he isn't... This isn't personal, not with what the the country faces and so forth.  I like him very much.  I've spent some social time with him.  He's a fine guy.  He's a very nice gentleman.  He is a gentleman.  But he's not a conservative."
Interesting.  Very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about Mitt, but we can't have this idiot in office another four years. I like Cain, he seems to make sense with what he says. We the conservative at heart must get out and vote, all of us, young and old.

    ReplyDelete