Friday, June 3, 2011

Sleep!

Oddly, it took a paint job I'm not happy about to get me to sleep.  In the past 24 hours I have had 8 hours of sleep.  That is more than twice I've had in any 24 hour period in three weeks.  Yippee!

Last night McGyver's crew came to paint.  They arrived at 6:30 and his two guys went to work.  McGyver left for other projects.  I considered that a late start and I told McGyver, "I am willing to pay extra.  I really want a quality job."  He relayed the message to the guys.  He came back around 10.  At midnight they said, "Halas" (we're done).  There was paint all over the floor.  There was paint on the doorways.  

I went ballistic.  I pointed at all of the problems.  The four of us spent the next half hour cleaning and it was in decent shape by the time they left at 12:30.  I know they said, "Halas" because it was late and they wanted to go to bed -- but it wouldn't have been so late had they arrived at 4:30 as they said they would.

I was upset enough I knew I wouldn't sleep and I didn't.  I finally fell asleep around 3.  I woke up at 7 and took another look around.  I saw the guys had broke my Pug figurine and carefully tried to hide it.  I was furious.  I sent McGyver a text saying, "Tell your guys the broken dog makes me even more sad.  I am so sorry I hired you for this project."  

I knew I desperately needed more sleep so I took an Ambien and headed back to bed.  Ten minutes later my doorbell rang and it was McGyver.  I have no memory of our conversation; that's the effect of Ambien.  I do know I told him I took a sleeping pill so talking to me now is a waste of time.  I called a friend who speaks Arabic to translate why I was so angry and explain what a  sleeping pill was. McGyver's first language is neither English or Arabic - I'm not sure what it is - but he understands Arabic better than English.  Also, I told my friend, "Call me later and tell me about this because there's no chance I will remember any of it."  

I woke up at 1 and my world looks very different.  

At the very least, my hallway looks different.  Neither color turned out quite like I thought it would.  I can see a repainting in the future but I'm not sure I want to to do it anytime soon.

How is all of this good news?  The painting fiasco gave my mind something else to fixate on besides fears of disasters back home.  That (+Ambien) allowed to get the first real sleep in weeks.  

So here's the hallway:
The black was supposed to be charcoal.  The orange was supposed to be more caramel.  As it is I feel ready to throw a Halloween party.

No comments:

Post a Comment