Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Life returns to normal

This is my week off yet I've been at the office every day.  I am finally getting some sleep.  The most remarkable event of the past week:  With 200 students I had only 4 e-mails about grades.  That's shockingly low.  I guess they know I've been here awhile so the pleas of "Sir, plees halp me!" would fall on dear ears.

Also, I flunked more students in this semester than I have in my previous 5 semesters combined.  So I've become a badass and I'm not getting complaints.  It doesn't get much better than this.

I do feel sad (not bad) for a student who first came to the 7 years ago.  She needs one class to graduate and on each of the quizzes she scored between 25 and 30% - which is the score of someone who didn't even read the question but randomly guessed at the multiple choice.  With a final grade of 40% I couldn't give the bump to 60% and a D.  She is/was distraught but the distress came only at the end of the semester - not after failing every quiz, midterm, etc.  I had the same happen more than once in the US and there are at least two people in the US who don't have college degrees because I failed them in their last class.

OK, badass credentials secure.  With that surge of testosterone I feel the need to go shoot something (we have a new shooting range that I haven't visited) or buy a ridiculously large SUV.

No comments:

Post a Comment