Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Longest flight of my life"

That's quite a statement coming from Ann - who has been travelling all over the world for 20 years.

On Monday I took Mike and her to the Abu Dhabi airport where they boarded the only plane that connects the UAE to Chicago.  It's the flight I have desperately wanted to take since they started it two years ago.  Etihad is known for good service and on-demand entertainment (a huge plus when stuck on a plane for hours).  The problem is that their flight to Chicago takes off at 10:30 AM.  Get a good night of sleep and then get on a plane for a 15 hour 10 minute flight?

Ann said she looked at her watch 4 hours into the flight and thought, "This is never going to end..."

A 15 hour flight is insanely long but I am hoping I like it better when I take it in August.  First, I plan to stay up all night so I'll be plenty tired when I get on the plane and I will take Ambien.  If I'm lucky I'll sleep until we are over Iceland.

I booked my ticket tonight at the Etihad office.  I'll be flying out on August 3 and flying back to the UAE on September 4.

2 comments:

  1. In our time, what time was it when they landed in Chicago? And which way did they go from there? East or west? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. They went to CR and are now in San Antonio. The flight takes off at 10:30 AM in Abu Dhabi and arrives at 4:40 PM the same day in Chicago. The sun has moved just six hours but the clock has moved 15 hours.

    I am on a flight back to CR that will get back at 9:30. There's a chance I might be able to catch an earlier flight if all goes well.

    ReplyDelete