Saturday, June 18, 2011

An odd semester

I have been teaching a long time and this year was nothing like I would have predicted:  In the fall I had a great schedule (no morning classes, two days on women's campus/two days on mens).  It really doesn't get any better than that.  Yet, my work with internships made it the semester from hell - easily the worst semester since my first semester when I was woefully unprepared for the cheating.

This semester I thought would be hell because I had an 8AM class... six classes... 240 students (about 60 more than normal)... and I discovered that I pretty much couldn't write on any boards in most of my classes.  I had to fundamentally change the way I teach.  I'm an old dog and this was a new trick.

So I thought this would be a horrible semester... but it wasn't.  Teaching women is much easier than teaching guys and I learned this semester that 6 classes of women is much easier than 5 of mixed classes.  I did learn how to teach without writing and the scores did not go down by much so it obviously works.

If it weren't for a month without sleep to end the semester this would have been a great semester.

Twenty-four hours ago I never thought I'd be done by now.  Last night I took an allergy drug that gave me a solid 8 hours of sleep.  I got more done today than I have in the past week combined.

The bottom line is that I am done.  Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment