Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's all one big learning curve

First day of class?
This morning I commented to a colleague that I'd like to get a class list. He looked at me puzzled, "Why?"
"So I know the names of my students."
"There is no need," I was told, "because it will change."
I still jumped through several hoops to get the class rosters.
**********
Imagine starting a class of 30 students with 3 sitting in the classroom. I thought, "But they can't even know if I'm a bad teacher yet!"
As more trickled in I came to learn the story:
1. The schedule is different for Ramadan. Since Ramadan starts tomorrow students didn't know if the Ramadan schedule was in effect.
2. Apparently the first week is getting schedules, picking up syllabi, meeting your professors, etc. It's not supposed to be for covering serious content. They don't even get their textbooks until next week.

"Oh," I said, "In the United States we call that orientation!"

No comments:

Post a Comment