Friday, August 22, 2008

But it's a dry heat...

Sympathetic friends tried to assure me that living here wouldn't be too bad. 105 wouldn't be that bad because "it's a dry heat." For the most part they were right. Standing in direct sun for even a few minutes is not fun. The heat builds very quickly. Walking around, however, isn't too bad... even in the middle of the day. There is a constant breeze that keeps everything cooler. At night the temps drop to the 80's, which with no humidity, isn't bad at all.
I guess I came with the attitude of "dry heat my ass it's going to be hotter than hell. " It turns out that it's really not that bad. Of course, I didn't arrive in the middle of July when it was 10 degrees hotter than it is now.
Stepping out of the swimming pool is an interesting experience in a climate this dry. There's no need for a towel. In less than five minutes I was completely dry. The swimsuit took ten minutes more.
The downside of all this is my contacts. I've been wearing glasses for the past couple of days. I don't know if I'll be able to wear contacts in a place this dry. I've avoided lasix surgery but I might have to get it if I want to continue living here!

No comments:

Post a Comment