Friday, August 22, 2008

Wednesday update




* I might be living out of the Hilton for the next couple of months. There is a severe housing shortage in Al Ain because people are commuting from Al Ain to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. (That's like commuting from Iowa City to Waterloo... which people are willing to do because 1. Gas is cheap. 2. Rental prices in Dubai are high. And, finally, the traffic within both cities is so ridiculous that traveling to work from here is not much more of a time committment.)
* It appears I did NOT get the extra $14,000 raise. From ridiculously well paid I will now just be well paid.
* If I am going to be in a hotel for a month or two or more the University will have to make a deal with the hotel on Internet fees. The cost to use the Internet is $35 per day! Even if I was "ridiculously well paid" I wouldn't spend a grand a month on internet.
*****
Update: The picture above is taken from my hotel room balcony. Al Ain is much more green than I expected. In the background you can barely make out a mountain. At night one can see a well lit road to the top of the mountain. I'll be going there later this week for a BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment