Sunday, September 25, 2011

Plane crash in Nepal

This is not the headline I wanted to read a week after booking a ticket to Nepal!  The plane that crashed was one that had taken a trip to see Mount Everest.  It's a trip Ann and I took back in 2008.
Here's one of my pictures from that trip.  I found it to be anti-climatic.  Looking at the mountains from a plane window didn't seem all the different than looking at a giant picture of them.

Our flight in 2008 was delayed because of the fog.  Apparently, trying to land in fog is what caused this plane to crash.  I still plan to fly to Pokhara on this trip to Nepal because a week in Kathmandu is not appealing and  the possibility of careening off a mountain side in a bus is equally unattractive.

I wish they published statistics of casualties rates by bus vs air.  I doubt either set of numbers would help Nepali tourism.

*****
Update:  While I was working out tonight I saw video of the crash site.  It was not pretty.  Since Buddha Air has one plane that makes the trip to see Everest, returns, refuels and heads out again, it is likely that the plane that crashed is the same plane we were on.

No comments:

Post a Comment