Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oh, the language barrier

I arrived home tonight from a great dinner party followed by a birthday party.  In my Emirati life this is as about social as it gets.

As the taxi dropped me off the watchman seemed to indicate that my car could not be parked on the street in front of my apartment.  It's where I have been parking 90% of the time for the past three years.  The more insistent he became that I couldn't park there the angrier I became.  His English is all of 50 words but I was close to chopping his head off.

I finally realized what he meant:  I've been paying him to wash my car and he gets in trouble if he washes my car on the street but won't get in trouble if he washes it within the compound.

I felt so bad I gave him $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment