Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sizable Muslim population

My second favorite thing about Singapore was the diversity.  I didn't see many people who looked like me. (The majority of Singaporeans are of Chinese descent.)  While walking I saw African women in colorful dress, women in abayas (the black garment my students wear), guys in way too tight shorts, etc.  Nobody looked at anyone cross-eyed.  On my visits to New York I also like the diversity but in NYC I never forget I'm a white guy - for good or bad.  In Singapore nobody gave a shit about anybody else...

And I liked that.

Anyhow, I had to visit the "Little Arab town" part of the city.  They were having a weekend food festival.  So these Muslims were working outside in 90 degree humid weather selling food... while fasting.  Now THAT takes willpower.

The streets of Little Arab town are named after major cities in the Arab world.

In Little India (right next door) they also had a Muslim restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment