Monday, July 29, 2013

Singapore climate

As a weather geek I've always been fascinated by Singapore.  Here's why:
The temperatures are the same almost all year - with highs just above 90 Fahrenheit and lows around 75.  I don't know any other place I've studied that has temperatures THIS consistent.

As a visitor it was easy to see the effect.  Virtually all restaurants and most shops have an indoor-outdoor component.  Since it rains a lot there are covers to keep you dry but sitting outside in the rain while having a beer at two in the afternoon seems to be a pretty common experience.

A native Singaporean made me realize another problem:  The passage of time.  Imagine if the weather was the same every month, every year.  How do you mark the passage of time?  This is an environment where people don't say, "Remember last spring when..." because spring is not much different from winter or fall or last summer.

*****
A negative of the consistently warm weather:  People are used to being outside all the time.  I grew up on a farm in Iowa.  My nearest neighbor was a half mile away.  In Singapore I saw people all the time, everywhere I went.  Manhattan in New York City has three times the population density of Singapore yet to me Singapore felt much more crowded.  By day 5 I was having visions of the farm and how I will go and spend a day there by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment