Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Food in Singapore

Before arriving in Singapore several friends said that the crab was the quintessential Singaporean food.  I'm not big on sea food but I went ahead and ordered the chili crab.

I got to pick which guy I wanted and the price was based on his weight.  I chose the most active guy trying to escape. (I later learned that was a good call.)


Twenty minutes later I was served this.  I wish I could say it was good... but it was not.  The crab had very little meat. Imagine trying to pick about the crab covered in chili.  It was easily the messiest thing I have ever tried to eat.

Singapore is known as foodie city... a place where if you like to try new things you could spend days, weeks, or months trying it all.  I had absolutely horrible luck.  I had two good meals in Singapore and both of those were with people from Singapore choosing what to eat and where to eat.

The food part of this meal was the chicken and rice flavored by different spices and a fish broth at the top of the picture.  At the bottom of the picture was "Fried carrot cake." It did not taste anything like carrot cake because, well, it is made from turnips(?), not carrots.  It was certainly interesting.

Anyhow, the worse meal of the trip was on my last night.  I was on the riverwalk and saw a Mexican restaurant serving margaritas.  The margaritas pulled me and I ordered enchiladas.  They had clearly been frozen and simply heated in a microwave before being served.... boo!  And the total cost was $35US - $20 for the horrible enchiladas and $15 for the horrible margarita.

No comments:

Post a Comment