Saturday, September 15, 2012

State of the race

As a political junkie I can't think of many times where I've seen a presidential race turn so quickly on so little real news.  Think about it:  Clinton gave a good speech defending Obama.  Obama gave a mediocre (by Obama standards) speech accepting the nomination.

Within days the Romney campaign went off the rails saying things like, "We'll repeal Obamacare but keep the parts that are popular."  And, "People making between $200,000 and $250,000 are middle class."  And then he questioned whether Obama would want to take "In God we trust" off of our coins.  And then there is the jump-the-gun response to the attacks on the embassies.

I have never seen a campaign go from confident to freaked out this quickly.  Yes, McCain rolled the dice with picking Palin but he was solidly behind at that time.  He had to roll the dice.  Romney was a point below dead even a week ago.

For every campaign there is a book or two that does in-depth reporting on each campaign.  In 2008 it was a book called "Game Change" and I wrote several posts about it.  Win or lose for my side, I look forward to reading the book because something caused Romney to become unhinged in the past week and I can't wait to read the back story.

The election day is still over six weeks away so there's no champagne bottles being popped here... but I am pinching myself with disbelief at my side's change of fortune.

1 comment:

  1. That is an incredibly concise account of the week's news. This article was the best I found about the expat situation which may be even scarier than imagining Romney/Ryan at work at home. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-zogby/in-crisis-romney-reveals_b_1886612.html

    ReplyDelete