Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ordinary People

Tonight I found myself hugging/holding a guy while he cried inconsolably.  I reveal this on a public blog with no disrespect to his privacy; he and I are acquaintances so by altering his name there is no risk of publicly identifying him.

"Mohammed" has never seen the movie Ordinary People but he is living it:  Older, beloved brother died in a bad accident.  One parent letting it be known they wished it had been him instead.  The other parent caring but distant.  I guess I landed the counselor role in this real life movie.

What struck me as he was talking - and he had a lot to talk about - was that what he needed most was someone to listen.

I left the night feeling oddly good because I know he felt better just to get a lot off his chest.  I also felt incredibly grateful that I have many really valuable friends I know I can turn to when life hands me lemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment