Thursday, January 26, 2012

I don't get it

Facebook is filled (for friends of my age) with posts claiming the past was sooo much better than the present.  "We are the last generation to play out a friend's house" is one of the claims.

While I love 80's music, I guess I view the 70's and 80's differently than the nostalgia-bots.  It was the age where people smoked everywhere.  Tab collars and wide ties for guys and women wearing shoulder pads were cool.  We were the first "me" generation before reality TV made being "me" something anyone else would want to watch.

My generation is not a generation of heroes.  We are the first generation to go horribly in debt going to college. That's not our fault; it's what our guidance counselors told us to do.

I am happy to be of the era I am from.  I would have accomplished nothing in college if I had a smartphone and access to FB during class.

Each generation has this insatiable need to feel morally superior to those younger than them - a feeling I can't understand or identify with.  I believe the children are our future... Oh, sorry, Whitney Houston interrupted me while I was writing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment