Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bill Flanagan

I am fortunate that I had a class with the natural Santa Claus.  A kind, gentle soul who also knew how to keep track of who was naughty and nice.  The beard helped.
Sadly, he passed away this weekend.

In the spring of my freshman year at Coe I took a class in Sociology.  (I really like Sociology but it wasn't until grad school before I took more classes.  Only in Sociology classes do I think, "I am the most conservative person in the room.")

The class with Professor Flanagan was eye-opening.  Sociology should be named the "social science that studies all the ways the world is unfair."  I have thought about the class many times since coming here.

I also think about him from a teaching standpoint:  In his class he assigned a book to read but never talked about it in class.  On the midterm he asked an essay question about the book worth 20% of the grade.  At first I was angry. I thought, "If it is that frickin' important why didn't you talk about it at least once in class?"  Then I paused and thought, "Welcome to college."

As a teacher I have never followed Professor Flanagan's example.  I pretty much give test questions that come from lecture - I consider it a reward for those who stay awake in my class... but this semester I failed to mention a topic in one of my classes and a few students were upset to get questions about it.  It was in the textbook so I had no problem smiling and saying, "Welcome to college!"

Cheers Professor Flanagan!  I really wish I had had a chance to talk to you about all that I have learned about "income stratification" since I arrived in the Emirates.  I'm one of your students who greatly appreciated you as a teacher and I'm only mad at myself for getting a B in your class.

No comments:

Post a Comment