Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cultural night

Friday, December 2, is National Day - The 40th anniversary of the founding of the UAE.  (Maybe someday I'll get over living in a country that is younger than me, but I'm not there yet.)

In the run-up to National Day the college hosted a cultural night that I attended.
 I am on the left (in case you couldn't recognize me).  Here I am meeting with students who are part of the volunteer organization with a mission to improve things in the UAE.

How much do Emiratis get into National Day?  They even have headscarfs made for the occasion.

UAEU has students from many countries.  These are Omani students heading to the center square to dance.  Notice that four in the front row are walking on gravel with no shoes.

Tougher feet than mine.

 The Omanis drug me out to the dance floor sandlot. It was fun, but I suck so bad at dancing that they graciously allowed me to quit early.

You don't have to be gay to appreciate the traditional greeting among men of the same tribe.  As a member of a relatively cold German family, I find it refreshing to see this level of warmth between distant family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment