Monday, July 25, 2011

T-minus ten and counting

Without much thought I bought a large supply of Coke Zero and Bud today.  As I was making trips hauling it up to my apartment I thought, "Wait, will I drink all of this before I leave next Wednesday?"  The answer is probably yes.

Since I always need something to fuel my pre-flight anxiety I have two for this trip:  First I will be flying on a new plane.  Exciting, right? A new plane on a 15 hour flight.  Let's just hope they didn't miss any kinks when they tested it out.  Etihad supposedly has world-class service so I am looking forward to the flight.

Etihad customer service (pre-flight) blows.  The whole reason I spend $270 on a credit card with them was to get the miles and freebies that come with it.  The main freebie I wanted was an extra 40 pounds of luggage.  Now I'm told that's not available for the flights to US and Canada.  (Never mind that at every point I said, "I'm doing this for the extra luggage to Chicago... I'm doing this for the extra luggage to Chicago."  Only after card paid for and ticket paid for am I told, "So, sorry, you don't qualify."

I have 60 pounds of stuff to take back to the US for a friend who moved back to Illinois.  I'll suck it and pay the fees because this friend - Imad - is the same guy who counseled me during salary negotations this spring.  It's safe to say I would be $350 less per month for the next three years if it were for Imad insisting I demand an even higher salary.  Assuming I stay for three more years his advise saved me $12,000.  I think I can handle some baggage fees to get the rest of his stuff home.

I haven't given any thought of what to pack because I don't have much of anything *to* pack.  I can bring you  real cinnamon toothpicks from a cinnamon tree... but they sound better than their bitter taste.

Yeah, I don't have much to bring home beyond a weary traveler grateful to see his dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment