Monday, July 4, 2011

Emiratis for dinner

For the first time in the 3 years I've lived here, I had Emiratis for dinner.  They were so much tastier than the bitter Brits I had last month.

*rimshot*

But seriously... the two guys I had over are Emiratis who attend Iowa State.  While they have lived in the US for two years they've never had a traditional Iowa meal.  I made pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet corn, and cabbage (which they both avoided).  

What do they like about living in Iowa?  Sliding around corners in the snow.  

What do they dislike about living Iowa?  Pretty much everything else.

My Iowa pride is still intact.  In fact, I'd tell any Emirati here, "If you want to see the bright lights of the big cities AND remain a faithful Muslim don't go to Iowa - a state where we have no real big cities and the pigs outnumber the humans 3 to 1." 

I am bringing Mohammed - the one who first contacted me on FB a couple of months ago - to my class this week.  I look forward to seeing the response.

1 comment:

  1. Sliding in the snow ... must try it ..!!!
    I assume that its not boring ...

    ReplyDelete