Friday, July 21, 2023

Oppenheimer

The first hour of the movie is cutting from 1932 to 1942 to 1945 to 1949. The only way the viewer knows what time period we are in is by seeing the makeup of the stars. I know this story inside and out and even I was like WTF as one moment they are talking about the need for atomic bomb that is only theoretically possible and the next moment they are discussing its impact on the future of mankind.

I wondered during the movie if my theater had the sound on wrong. It's jarring. I couldn't hear the dialogue in many points because the relentless techno sound track overshadowed the voices of the actors. From reading other reviews I learned that for Director Christopher Nolan that's a feature, not a bug.

The movie has a 3 hour run time, and this three act play is almost to the minute broken into three acts by hour. The only act I liked was Act 2, So for Star Wars fans, the second hour is the Empire Strikes Back - enjoy it. 

The third hour goes all political; which you'd think I'd enjoy. Rami Malek appears and gives a passionate speech which would be awesome if we had ever seen him before that speech. In other words it did nothing for me.

Cillian Murphy will get a best actor nomination from this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it. Cate Blanchet also has a scene in the third act that will get her a best supporting actress nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment