Saturday, July 22, 2023

The Suicide Tollbridge

 My Aunt, my uncle and my brother all committed suicide. So when it comes to depression and suicide you've never met a guy better equipped to discuss this than me. 

I won't speak about the aunt I never met and the uncle who is technically my godfather but I don't really remember him.

I can speak about Mark. 

Mark was Steve 1.0.

By all accounts Mark was insanely smart and witty. I don't think he was as extroverted as his Mom and me but he really knew how to make people take notice... I think all who knew him would say that Mark would have been a social media influencer.

Instead, my brother dropped out of HS weeks before graduation and became the story they told to all other #BCHS grads for generations of what NOT to do. 

I won't lie; my relationships with my siblings is complicated as fuck. Mom designated me as the favorite early on and Dad designated Miriam as favorite child and Marty as favorite son early on... leaving the oldest sister Kathy and oldest son Mark somewhere out there but not a great place to be.

Dad saw his reason to be on this planet is to be a good older brother and be a protector of his wife and kids. I have numerous videos on this.

Mom? This is tough. 

Mom is so much more complicated than Dad. I did Spellman's eulogy in two hours. It was easy. 

I wrote and revised Dad's eulogy because Miriam HATED the first draft. The second draft has her edits upfront and the rest is the same. 

For Mom, I have no guardrails. I is/was whatever her favorite son. So what I say is the definitive take on her life. 

And that terrifies me.



No comments:

Post a Comment