Monday, July 10, 2023


Today is Rahul Kumar's birthday. Rahul is one of the most insightful intelligent person I've met. My favorite moment with him was when I somehow scored higher than him on an International Econ exam. I started doing a victory dance to which his response was:

  1. You need to get a life
  2. You can't dance.

He was, of course, right on both counts.

As Student Body President at Coe I had the honor(?) of calling #FlunkDay and a budget to produce the Flunk Day newspaper, for which I recruited Denise to edit. She did an amazing job and most #Kohawks credit it as the best one ever produced.

My only request of her was to give me the back page. I had some grievances. And I had some kudos to give.

I won't get into the grievances but for the kudos it was a backhanded attempt of displaying my love for Rahul and my disdain for my alma mater's leadership in how they treated him. 

Rahul Kumar:

  1. Steve: Please remember me after you make your first million.
  2. President Brown: Please remember Coe after you make your first million.
  3. Dean Phifer: Please forget everything I said about history being about white people.

I was out of office but called to President Brown's office after this came out. He was offended. I said, "Is it not factually true?" 

"Yes," he replied, "but you shouldn't have put it in." I rolled my eyes.

Bottom line: Rahul was right; calling out Coe's curriculum in 1991 was the right thing to do. I stand by my friend now and always will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment