Monday, October 7, 2013

Mohammed - I hardly knew 'ya

I have a huge class of 49 male students for Fundamentals of Management.  Normally 49 shabab in one class is enough to make me question my choice of profession but this has been a pretty decent group. Management is an entry level course.  Most of my male students are in the first or second semester.  Teaching newbies to college is sometimes akin to obedience training - but that's a subject for another post.

On Sunday I gave my first quiz.  The quiz is online and the rules are that they have 40 minutes to answer 20 questions.  (Without a time limit bad students will sit there the whole hour waiting for someone to send them the answers.)  Also, the questions come in a random order and once they answer a question they can't go back.

So this large group of guys made no real attempt to cheat.  They took the easy quiz and left after 20 minutes.
And they bombed it:  Average score 65/100.

That evening I saw I had lost a student.  Apparently one of my Mohammeds went to the registration office and dropped immediately after the quiz.

I've never had a class try to cheat so little.  It was like I was back teaching in America.

Now here's the problem:  I feel robbed.  "Seriously, you guys didn't even care enough to cheat?  What's wrong with you?"

I guess the real question is, "What's wrong with me?"

2 comments:

  1. Maybe they've given up. You're too good.

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best title of a blog ever.

    By the way.

    ReplyDelete