Monday, October 28, 2013

Lucky guys follow up

In the post below I wrote about Mansour (the Emirati wearing the robe in the picture below) getting a fantastic internship at Boeing in Seattle and Youssef (the Moroccan who will have his entire Master's degree at NYU paid for by the Emirati government).

I showed this picture to my classes as a way to promote the Supply Chain major.  Basically, "See these very successful Supply Chain majors!"
\
Today Mansour said he was famous.  Many students have told him they saw this picture in my classes.

Did any of them say, "How did you get an internship at Boeing?  What is majoring in Supply Chain like?"

Nope.

All they asked him was, "What does it take to get an A in Steve's class?"

He just laughed it off and said, "I don't know."

I WISH Mansour had said, "Don't ask me: In my first class with Steve I got a C+."

This is a perfect example of the short-sighted thinking that is common here.  A grade in one class has virtually zero impact on life.  Achieving a scholarship to NYU or an internship at Boeing?  That's life changing. As Spellman always said, "Don't focus on the small battles.  The goal is to win the war."  Here, life is nothing but the small battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment