Tuesday, April 9, 2013

North Korean restaurant

A long time ago I heard that there was a North Korean restaurant in Dubai.  As one who likes trying new things this was very tempting.

Finding it took some walking but the weather was spectacular - low 80's - in Dubai.  (Usually it is in the mid-90's by now.)  I wish I could show pictures of the place but they had signs about not taking pictures.  I did, however, take a few pictures of the food I ate.

The decor was relatively simple and very clean.  Some paintings on the walls and references to Korea.  Interestingly there was no picture of the dear leader.  There were no customers when we arrived at 2 but they quickly made us feel welcome.

The waitresses:  Four identical looking women wearing identical lime green perfectly pressed polyester uniforms.  It was like I stepped back to the 1950's and met airline stewardesses.  The cliche of they all look alike came to life as the third one asked where we were from and a friend said, "Didn't you just ask us that?" They did have one descriptive feature:  Different colored platform neon shoes.

We took a pass on the steamed intestines with rice and squid.

We ordered kimchi, what they called bbq beef (marinated flank steak is my guess), a basic salad, needle mushroom salad and a beef with rice dish.  I knew I wouldn't like the kimchi - way too spicy - but my Arab friends liked it.  I loved the rest.
What you are seeing:  The marinated steak was cooked at our table.  The waitress/chef cut them into small pieces.  She suggested making a wrap using the needle mushroom salad.  It was great!

While I was eating the beef dish I found a long black hair.  The manager saw it and immediately came over and apologized.  Then each of the waitresses apologized.  I know that really grosses a lot of people out but it didn't really bother me.  

As an apology they brought us a desert:
A simple vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries minced on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment