Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bust.


In five years I have come back to the US seven times.  Twice I have used the American Airlines website to book the ticket.  No problems.

Last week I saw an incredibly cheap fare for DC - a new Etihad direct flight.  Less than $600 to fly to DC???  Too good to be true.  The ticket price on Etihad was 4700 dirhams ($1280) but the price on American's website was only 2100 dirhams ($560).   For reasons I don't know, American often sells Etihad tickets cheaper than Etihad sells them... but never less than half price.

When I first tried to book it I screwed up my security code on the back.  (The numbers had worn off so I read them wrong.)  The card was rejected.  I called the bank and they said it would take a few hours to clear up and try again.

Later I tried and everything seemed fine.  The card was processed, I received a confirmation and even a seat assignment.

What I didn't get worried me:  I always get a text for purchases over $100.  No text came.  

If I didn't have the text feature I would have shown up at the airport complete unaware there was any problem.  

Last night Etihad told me, "We see your reservation with American but they have not issued the ticket.  We can't issue you the ticket."  I called American and was told there was odd problem but it could be cleared up.  "No problem" I was assured.

I finished packing.

Late last night I still didn't get the text saying the charge was on the card so I called American again.  After trying and trying I was told they couldn't process it but I should just show up at the airport and pay for the ticket there.  I was told again, "No problem."

Mohamed drove me the 90 minute drive to the airport.  We got in line at the ticket counter only to be told Etihad has no ability to process an American Airline ticket. (Not surprising.)  As we were taking my suitcases back to the car I reached American by phone.  The woman was so supportive I told Mohamed, "Let's start walking back - she thinks she can make this work."

Nope.  

Mohamed and I ate breakfast and headed back to Al Ain.  Basically, today was a 3 hour trip to an airport McDonalds.

2 comments:

  1. Nooooooooo!

    That sucks! It is never "Bust." Or at least it never should be.

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I really really wish that was not actually a "bust" photo. But your happy "I'm going to D.C." photo.

    ReplyDelete