Saturday, April 6, 2013

World's reserve currency

Before my failed trip to the US I went to exchange dirhams for dollars.  Here is some of the money I received:


So geek, what is special about this?  First, notice that the serial numbers are in order.  I took out $2000 and it was all in order.  That means it was the first time this money has ever been used.  Money printed in the US, distributed by our Fed is used for the first time at a money exchange place in Al Ain, UAE.  How many millions of $100 bills are printed each year and distributed to the central banks around the world?  I don't have an answer but it amazes me that every time I exchange money here I get crisp, never used-before money.

Also, check out the date.  This money was printed in 2006.  It's not only crisp and never used before but it is also 7 years old!  Ben, where have they kept you all these years?

*****
My geekyness started young.  I loved the feel and smell of a brand new crisp bills from the bank.  I still do but I don't spend much time sniffing my money.  Mohamed was with me while I was packing and commented, "Your money smell funny."  He's got a point:  Of the dozen or so other currencies I have touched I don't think any of them have a distinctive smell like the greenback.

No comments:

Post a Comment