Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I get to be a student!

Long story short:  Next Sunday - Tuesday I will be a student again.

The training session is put on by the Harvard Business School with the topic of "negotiations."  I loved my negotiations class in graduate school and even though I suck at bargaining I really, really like negotiations.  (After my work with Spellman on union contracts I think I could have taken a job working in this field.  I am much better negotiating on behalf of someone than I am negotiating for me.)

There is extra value for me to attend this training:  It will be at the company where my university will be doing training in the future and I might, just might, be the point person on it.  To see what they expect in terms of training would be helpful.

As I told my class that next week's classes were canceled I said, "I know this is hard for you to hear because you will miss this class...." and they laughed.  I appreciated that.  If they didn't know me they would have said, "Oh, sir, we will miss you!"

Today I received the material I have to read before next week and I told my class that I was excited to get homework.  Forty students collectively rolled their eyes.

And I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment