Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Minting warriors

Few sectors of the economy have shown less innovation than higher education. Most universities work on the same model that was being run well over a hundred years ago. Meanwhile the cost of attending college has grown faster than costs in another sector of the economy. Quite simply, higher ed has a chin made of glass and somebody has to give it a punch.

Now, everything I said is not originally from me. It's from my wanna be cult leader Professor Scott Galloway at NYU's Stern School of business. 

Professor Galloway believes the goal every university should have is to mint warriors. It's great to offer safe spaces and protections to anyone up until the time they go to college. When I went back to teach at my alma mater Coe College they wanted me to put a pink triangle on my door and I refused. Not because I do not support the LGTB community because of course I do. I refused because I do not see college as a safe space. College is the place where you need to have your beliefs challenged. Where you have your best friend Paul argue philosophy but can't get me as a died in the wool left of center guy to buy in. 

College is the place where you should enter as a sheep and leave as a lion ready to take on the world. We in higher education are doing our students no favors by coddling them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment