Monday, April 17, 2023

Are all gifts bribes?

Many years ago I was teaching a supply chain course. On the first day the guys (and this was an male class) had had me before in the Fundamentals of Management course. They knew me, they knew my expectations and they were horrible. I got through what I had to get through and then slammed my computer shut and said, "You are not aware, but today is my birthday and you ruined my fricking birthday. I hope you come back on Thursday ready to learn."

The next day, the biggest pain in the ass student came to my office and apologized and sheepishly left a Louis Vuitton gift bag on my desk. 

Inside? A Dh 2300 pair of sunglasses. He was long gone before I saw what he had left me.

I shreaked. My friend Jamie next door heard me so he rushed over. He was like, "Wow, I guess I need to learn to guilt trip my students better." 

For all things Emirati I turn brother Mansour. 

Steve: I can't keep this. If he bought me a cup of coffee that's one thing...

Mansour interrupted me. 

Mansour: You have to accept it. He will never ask anything of you. In our culture this is his way of apologizing. 

I followed Mansour's advice and promptly lost or had the sunglasses stolen shortly after. There is a reason I don't buy expensive sunglasses. 

I did make a note about who gave me the sunglasses in my grading excel sheet but I buried it. After I submitted grades I checked it. The student earned a C- in the class. I'll admit I had a temptation to raise the grade but I didn't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment