Monday, December 12, 2011

Newt

Democratic congressman Barney Frank said,
"I did not think I had lived a good enough life to be rewarded by Newt Gingrich being the Republican nominee."
Newt's leading in most national polls and leading in Iowa, which goes first on January 3.  He's a close second in New Hampshire and ahead in South Carolina.  If he were to win all three he'd pretty much be unstoppable.

How did the guy Democrats most want to be the Republican nominee become the front-runner? The answer seems to be Reagan.  In the late 1970's Democrats were rooting for Reagan because they thought he'd be the easiest to beat.  We all know how that turned out.

I don't think Newt is Reagan 2.0 but apparently many Republicans think the "big ideas" guy is the right guy to be their nominee.  Today my boss' boss (a Republican) indicated he'd be fine with Newt as the nominee.  Poor Mitt couldn't seal the deal.

In 2008 some Republicans lived to regret rooting for the black whose name rhymes with "Osama."  Maybe my side will end up eating crow but for now I'm agreeing with Barney.  I will happily caucus for Newt on January 3 because I believe he's the best opponent for Obama.

I think it's the right thing to do but please, don't ask me to bet $10,000 on it.

1 comment: