Thursday, August 14, 2014

Anxiety

I had heard of panic attacks but never experienced one until June 1997 - Spellman had died and I lost my job in Dubuque (they closed the weather station).  I was forced to move to Norfolk, Nebraska, to remain employed.  My anxiety was constantly high for weeks and a couple of times I'd have an onset of quick shallow breathing, mania and absolute impending doom thoughts racing through my head.

For reasons I can't quite explain I am close to feeling this again.  My chest feels like it is going to explode and I am on the verge of tears almost all day.  So what's so wrong?  Actually, not much.  My house is cleaned out and my friend Ollie is going to bring in contractors to fix it up and make it a real rental.  Financially I'm OK.  I can't explain my anxiety but it is very real.  It is bordering on debilitating.  In 12 hours I will be boarding a plane to Nepal.  I hope Nepal works its magic.

2 comments:

  1. My two-cents: to survive all the work that you had to do while in Iowa this past month you've had to just keep going and going. There were a lot of things you did that would've put a lesser person in a frozen state of angst. It finally caught up with you. I hope Nepal is calming you down, although being in a 24/7 sauna isn't exactly my idea of relaxing. - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Nepal sounds like the perfect antidote.

    It's good to see you back on Blogspot!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete