Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Halloween to remember

So I'm not exactly a new-agey-touchy-feely guy... but I used to get premonitions that were spot-on.  They were literally visions.  I would see a scene that later would happen.  They ended in my early 20's and I long ago dismissed them as coincidences or perhaps wishful thinking.

As I was leaving the US in August I had no premonition but the overwhelming anxiety was something I just  could not rationally explain.  Sadly, the anxiety proved to be justified as settling the farm estate has become a whole lot more complicated due to crashing corn/bean prices and family infighting.  In the summer of 2004 I sat in the kitchen with Mom and Dad and gamed out all of the scenarios of dealing with the estate - what would work well, what wouldn't work, etc. - and I have to give Mom credit:  Ten years ahead of time she was able to see where the problems would lie.  I love my father dearly but he was clueless.  He was literally the Rodney King of our family - "Can't we all get along?"

Our farm land will go on sale on October 31.  The sale price could be stable or down hundreds of thousands of dollars.... talk about a scary Halloween!

Fortunately, a farm near ours will go for sale in late September.  I consider it the canary in the coal mine.  Has the fall in corn prices killed land values?  We shall see soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment