Sunday, March 3, 2013

Another day in the life of Steve

On Thursday we had a department meeting.  Fortunately, we only have 2-3 per year so compared to 2-3 per week at Hamilton.  Speaking of, "Writing of" sounds too weird... Anyhow, today is five year anniversary of getting fired.  I worked there a little over 5 years.  Soon, I will have worked here as long.  I've been doing my happy dance all day.

But last Thursday I was far from doing a happy dance.  Long story short, I'm kinda getting screwed by being forced to recreate a class from scratch when there is just no reason to do it.  I have no problem developing classes but fixing a class that isn't broken is just a huge waste of time.  I became quite flustered at the meeting and afterwards headed to meet with my boss. Nothing positive came from the meeting but at least I was able to speak my peace.

Later that night I decided to get some work done and I realized I didn't have my laptop.  "When did I have it last? I took it to the department meeting... and from there..."  I realized I left my laptop in my Hawkeye laptop bag in the conference room.  Being it was the beginning of the weekend there was not much I could do.  On Friday (the first day of the weekend) I dutifully checked the conference room and found nothing.  I contacted the cleaning crew and learned they had picked up nothing.

Did I mention that I knew I had 2-500 dirham bills in the bag?  (That's $270.)

I remained relatively calm for the rest of Friday and Saturday.  On Sunday I arrived at 8AM and looked in lost and found.  Nada.  I found the... well, um, his title is office boy but it's just a phrase I can't use, so lets go with "departmental assistant."  He saw the bag in the room on Thursday and locked it up for me.

I opened the bag and discovered that not only was everything intact, but I had 3-500 dirham bills in there instead of two.  So I could have lost my work computer, my Hawkeye laptop bag, tons of data I haven't backed up in over a year and $400.

March 3 is certainly my lucky day.

1 comment: