Saturday, December 8, 2012

Bowling

I said to a friend, "Last night, three Afghanis and I went to a bowling alley..."

She started to giggle.  I looked at her strange.

She said, "Oh, this is not the start of a joke?"

*****
Let me start over:  I appreciate getting to know my Afghani students.  These guys were born and raised in Afghanistan and were pre-teens when the US invaded.  They are from the northern part of the country which never really liked the Taliban so they were not upset to see the fall of the government.

Largely, however, we do not talk politics.  I have my thousand questions about their culture and they've been very patient answering them.

And then we went bowling.
It was my first time bowling in 20 years.  On my third and final game I broke 100.  I came in last but I was still doing my happy dance.  The guy in the black shirt was using a 15 pound ball and he literally threw it down the lane.  I said, "I'm surprised you don't get a strike every time.  If I were those pins I would jump to get out of the way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment