Thursday, August 3, 2023

Learning from loss

 In 1989 I ran for student body president as a sophomore. No sophomore had ever been elected to the office but I wanted to be the first. I'm arrogant... that's a given.

I chose a runningmate I didn't know well. She was a well-meaning person and I wish nothing but the best for Andrea.

My opponent in that race was Renee. I like Renee... let's be clear she is a phenomenal woman.

Renee chose Forest as her running mate and I knew... before any votes were cast... I'm fucked.

Why? Forest was a Phi Tau and the guy every str8 woman on campus wanted. So my opponents are a woman from the largest sorority and a guy who is part of the second largest fraternity but has ZERO enemies. I've never met a guy who didn't like Forest. He's the man every other cis-gender man wants to be, but I digress.

A year later, everyone knows I'm going to run. That's a given. This time I chose Tony as my running mate. Rather than run with someone who I didn't know well I chose to run with a guy I'd take a bullet for. If I win I win; if I lose I lose - my fall back was remaining as the chairperson of the student senate... a job I liked more than being student body president, but that's a story for a different day.

Tony signed on. Tony has two awesome older brothers. I was his adopted older brother at Coe. 

Tony took J-term to explore the southwest of the United States. Unfortunately, the election is being held while he is gone.

My opponents in my second go at the job: The biggest stud TKE and the biggest partier Coe has ever known. 

The difference? Before I entered the race I secured endorsements from, well, enough influencers that I knew I was gonna win this race. Losing sucks and I wasn't about to lose again. 

As I said to both Chuck and Dustin - "You are both studs but you're in my world and I'm gonna kick your ass."

Revenge of the Nerds 

Intelligent human beings learn from mistakes. I knew why I lost on my first attempt and I'm happy I lost. It set me up to run and win... and a mark of how successful Tony and I were? 

When he ran for student body president he had nobody running against him... which, I think, has never happened before or since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment